Saturday, 14 February 2015

A love letter to my dog

Happy Valentines Day! 

Have some chocolatey-caramel love goodness from Buttons the Cocker Spaniel. 


As it's all about the love today, giving me every single excuse I don't necessarily need to wax lyrical about how blimmin' much I love my dogs - here goes:


A Love Letter to my Dogs

Dear Dogs

When you poke me in the eye with your wet nose at five in the morning, demanding your breakfast, whilst I’m snoozily cocooned in my Duvet of Lush (which, incidentally, I've had to steal back from you countless times during the night) - and when you head-butt me with your tatty teddy in your gob, demanding I play with you, just as the thing in my head is The Most Important Thing I Ever Had To Remember for work...

...even when someone knocks on the door and you scare the living bejeezus out of me with the shrillness of your relentless barking; or when I'm cooking and you wrap yourself round my feet guaranteeing I will trip over you and fall flat on my face whilst having to fight you off when I’m on the floor, crumpled and hurt, because you think it’s The Best Game Ever...

...even when it’s raining so hard that the ducks have donned wellies, and are chanting the sunshine song, but you still want a walk...

...even when we go for that walk and you manage to get your muddy paws on my literally just-out- of-the-laundry jeans within a nano-second of leaving the house...

...even when you never, ever let me forget when your dinnertime is and insist you are given it on time, every time (5:30pm) even though I might have a (5:30pm) deadline to keep to for the work that earns the money to buy your food...

...even when your fur dominates the bed, the carpet, my clothes, my world - and that I haven’t had a social life that doesn't include you in it for the whole of your life because you don’t want me to leave you (or is it that I don’t want to leave you?)...

...even though my holidays are never anywhere I really want to go to because I can’t take you…

…I wouldn't change any of it.

I wouldn't swap you for the longest lay-in, the cleanest jeans, or the whitest sheets. I happily forfeit the wildest social life and the most amazing holidays, just to have you in my life.

Your head-butts asking me to play, remind me that there’s more to life than work; and we, just sometimes, have to seize the moment and be silly.

Feeling you next to me when I'm sleeping reminds me I'm never alone, and that comforts me more than your beautiful doggy minds could comprehend.  And those walks in the rain? They are some of the most enjoyable times I've ever had, because I'm with you, watching you have the time of your life.

One day I will look back at all those moments and wish with all my heart to have just one of them with you again. When that time comes, I don’t want to look at a photo of you and regret I hadn't spent more time doing the things you wanted to do.

So, even though sometimes, all of those things frustrate the hell out of me (could you at least let me have some of the duvet at night?) I will always try to live in your moment whenever I can, and cherish each and every one of them with you.

I love you.
________________________________________________________________

Come and join me over at Facebook and Twitter and Instagram

4 comments:

  1. I love, just love this letter of love. It has made me giggle and brought a tear to my eyes. You have such a wonderful talent with words. You also have the most beautiful dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, such beautiful photos and such a sweet letter to them. I had to laugh at how much they annoy you because oh boy did my foster dog and my cats annoy the heck out of me this morning! We get up early during the week. God forbid we sleep in an hour or two on Saturday :)

    Also, we had our carpets professionally cleaned last Saturday. 7 days ago. Guess how much puke and drool and even some pee I've cleaned up so far? Oh the joys ...

    Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself! But they're worth it :)

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww so lovely,Happy Hearts Day,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, absolutely love this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - ask questions, give your point of view or just meet new people in the comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


BLOG DESIGN BY BLOG ME BEAUTIFUL